The Town of Greenwich, located approximately 25 miles from New York City in southwestern Connecticut, was founded in 1640. The town has three exceptionally well-preserved local historic districts that retain important examples of architecture from the Colonial, Federal, Greek Revival and Victorian periods. In addition Greenwich has a large concentration of buildings from the late 19th and early 20th century when the town attracted many business tycoons and robber barons of the Gilded Age who created lavish summer estates for luxurious country weekends as well as a handful of homes dating from the late 1600s.
In 1975, the first established local historic district in the Town of Greenwich was established along a stretch of Strickland Road in Cos Cob. Since then, two other local historic districts have been created and four local historic properties. While there are numerous sites that have been listed on the Connecticut State Register of Historic Places and the National Register of Historic Places, the reality is that the historic fabric is being destroyed every day. The Town of Greenwich’s very success as an ideal place to live, raise children and do business poses a threat to its historic resources.
The Greenwich Preservation Trust, as stewards and advocates of Greenwich’s rich architectural heritage, aims to further preservation education and protection of our historic resources. Our work includes partnering with other preservation-minded groups and reaching out to residents, owners of historic properties and visitors.
It is our hope that more and more property owners will think of their historic properties as valued art objects—one-of-a-kind treasures that through a mix of luck and love have survived intact to this day. To truly save Greenwich’s historic resources, we all need to value and appreciate the exteriors of historic buildings that may include quirks and flaws that make them different.